Recommended byMartin Scorsese, Akira Kurosawa, Christoph Hochhäusler, Pascale Ferran, Christophe Gans, James Gray, Nadav Lapid, Cédric Klapisch, Joachim Trier, Claude Lelouch, Mahamat Saleh Haroun, Todd Haynes, Agnès Jaoui, Damien Chazelle, Agnieszka Holland, Emmanuelle Bercot, Elia Suleiman
The film"s page
How does an Irish lad without prospects become part of 18th-century English nobility? For Barry Lyndon (Ryan O’Neal) the answer is: any way he can!
His climb to wealth and privilege is the enthralling focus of this sumptuous Stanley Kubrick version of William Makepeace Thackeray’s novel. For this ravishing, slyly satiric winner of four Academy Awards, Kubrick found inspiration in the works of the era’s painters. Costumes and sets were crafted in the era’s designs and pioneering lenses were developed to shoot interiors and exteriors in natural light.
The result is a cutting-edge movie bringing a historical period to vivid screen life like no other film before or since.
- Distributor : Warner Bros.
- Production Compagny : Peregrine Prod
- Producer : Stanley Kubrick
- Director : Stanley Kubrick
- Scenario : Stanley Kubrick
- Photo Director : John Alcott
- Costume Design : Milena Canonero, Ron Beck, Ulla-Britt Søderlund
- Executive Producer : Jan Harlan
- Original Work Author : William Makepeace Thackeray
- Set Decoration : Vernon Dixon
- Sound Recorder : Rodney Holland, Robin Gregory
- Sound Mixer : Bill Rowe
- Editing : Tony Lawson
- Original Music : The Chieftains
- Printed format : 35 mm
- Sound mix : Stéréo 2.0
- Year of production : 1975
- French release date : 8 septembre 1976
- Category : Feature film
- Color : Colors
- Language : English
- See special featureBlow up - ARTE : top 5 musical de Stanley Kubrick
By the same directorSee complete list
From the same yearSee complete list
With the same cast
Ryan O'NealSee complete list